FASHION & STYLE, LIFESTYLE

All Things Beautiful & Tacky In Close Up – Jacqueline Ho, ASOS

6th April 2010

Hi all, I have added a new series of ‘All Things Beautiful & Tacky In Close Up’ on styleslicker.com, interviews with creative industry professionals/bloggers and photographs of their creative/personal environment, either their home or work space. Photo selections of beautiful things and tacky things that tell a story behind it.

I’m delighted to feature Jacqueline Ho again I interviewed her last summer whilst she was still working for Burberry.  Jacqueline is now working for ASOS as a Buyers Assistant for High Street/Forward Order Brands.

I had fun rummaging her things and we created a huge mess in her flat but hey, mess is ART.  Check out the article below 😀

Click images to enlarge.

ASOS_JacquelineIMG_indoor3

Style Slicker: The last time I interviewed you, you were working for Burberry and now working for ASOS why is that?

Jacqueline: To pursue a career in Buying, it was meant to happen, I love my job.  ASOS has been great for that, it is a young company with lots of potential and changes happening all the time.

Style Slicker: Has your style changed since working with ASOS?

Jacqueline: Yes, I’m now into playsuits and hareem trousers.  I used to wear black a lot, I still do but I mix it with lots of colour now.  I can’t help being inspired by that the things people wear in the office, everyone dresses individually.  It’s like a fashion show all the time.

ASOS_Jacqueline5

Style Slicker: Tell us about your wall collage?

Jacqueline: It has all things inspired from all my travels and fashion.  My wall includes childhood photos playing with my brother, paint stains, postcards, drawings, fabric swatches and my exhibition pass to LFW.  A wall can’t go without images inspired from magazine cuttings.

ASOS_Jacqueline3

Style Slicker: Rummaging your stuff you seem to  have zillions of nail varnish, do you have a favourite and why?

Jacqueline: My favourites are the Anna Sui ones as they were all given from really good friends.  The purple colour is the very first thing I bought when I went to New York ten years ago!

Style Slicker: What’s your signature scent.

Jacqueline: Chloe.  It smells like all things associated with glamour and I love its feminine design.  I kept the Poison Dior for sentimental values as it belonged to my mum in her twenties.

://www.flickr.com/photos/kitlondon/4489973516/”>ASOS_Jacqueline4

Style Slicker: You collect a lot of jewellery, what’s your favourite?

Jacqueline: Despite the fact that I’ve had to take them to the shop to mend them twice (not me personally), I love my Chanel pearl earrings as they were a present from my boyfriend.  I’ve had a lot of compliments wearing them.

Burberrycoats

Style Slicker: Why do you have so many trench coats?

Jacqueline: I love each and everyone one of my trench coats!  In particular the ones I collected throughout my time at Burberry as they bring back nice memories.  They have all different stitching and details.  All the things that define the qualities in a luxury coat.

ASOS_Jacqueline1

Style Slicker: Tell us about the printed kaftans.

Jacqueline: I got the kaftans when I went to Sri Lanka, they are hand-painted and embroidered using a chainmail technique.

Style Slicker: You don’t look like a type of person who would wear trainers, do you?

Jacqueline: I got them when I was in my teens, during my 2nd trip to New York.  I was going through a funky hip hop stage.  I couldn’t help being inspired by NY street style, it looked cool.  I still like them.

ASOS_JacquelineTacky

Style Slicker: You have chosen these sets of stickers as ‘Tacky’ tell us about it.

Jacqueline: There is this obsessed sticker culture in Asia, I collected them whilst I was in HK, I got a lot of use out of them.

7 Random facts about Jacqueline Ho…

1.  I hardly cook!  But I do make some of the best salads.  That’s not even cooking, it’s just preparation.  My recipe for the moment is mango, avocado, seaweed, tuna with this yummy sesame salad sauce you get from Japanese supermarkets.

2.  When I was young I once mistaken wasabi as pistachio ice-cream, boy was I wrong when I tried a huge chunk of it.

3.  I do ‘Jukari’ at my gym, which is a fun work out using acrobatic moves to strengthen muscles.  You swing and fly on a trapeze.  I love it.

4.  I like to feed ducks, I think they do get hungry and I don’t think they love the litter that people throw into the canal.

5.  I collect pictures of pandas as I find them cute and funny.  They like playing, eating and sleeping, behaving just like humans.

6.  I was taught by a professional how to dance Michael Jackson style, we danced to ‘Thriller’, and it was hilarious with the whole zombie act!

7.  I shook hands with Prince Charles.

You Might Also Like

• Natalie 6th April 2010 at 01:28

Love the post, the trench coats are gorgeous, reminds me I need to get one 🙂

• Make Do Style 6th April 2010 at 10:25

All very lovely, particularly envious of trenches! Love the salad recipe xx

• daniel li 6th April 2010 at 11:24

Cool this is something new. I love the interview and the close up photographs.

• Hyun Hyun 6th April 2010 at 12:07

I love this post, It’s nice to see the professional’s creative surrounding. I would love to see more of this.

• Jacqueline Ho 6th April 2010 at 13:05

Many thanks for the comments on the trenches, I have many more but of course we chose the best bits. Well done to Kit, what an achievement! I enjoyed doing it. The big mess was worth it. Look forward to doing more projects in the summer. xx

• Lucy 6th April 2010 at 13:27

What a beautiful post Kit, love the stunning photo of Jacqueline….so au naturel! Damn she has lots of trenches I’m jealous, at least I own a few Uniqlos.

• Lucy 6th April 2010 at 13:29

and btw I love collecting tacky stickers 😛

• Ela Man 6th April 2010 at 13:40

我喜欢! 我喜欢!

• ASOS_Nat 6th April 2010 at 14:31

Fabulous, inspirational post! x

• StyleAnywhere 6th April 2010 at 14:59

does that mean, if i work for burberry i will have those trench coat too. i want!i want!iwant! 🙂 fun conversation and photos!

• dingleliu 6th April 2010 at 15:32

Her wall collage is beautiful I want to decorate mine too. Loved the interview piece and sweet photographs too, beautifully captured. You have such a great talent >.<

• Shini 6th April 2010 at 16:11

Really love the idea of this interview, photos of beautiful things and then a tacky something (which isn’t reaaaally tacky, we all have pink stickers that we used to pull other girls’ hairs for!) beautiful beautiful photos and love the flow of the interview!!

• Jacqueline Ho 6th April 2010 at 16:36

Hehe, anybody can do a wall collage, you just need to collect lots of postcards and hoard things all the time like me. Jx

• Winnie 6th April 2010 at 17:33

Wow, I love this interview. I read every single line which, I have to admit, I don’t always do when I see interviews on blogs. Jacqueline has such an amazing room, I love all the makeup, jewellery and plethora of patterns.

and those trenches….beautiful! I’d love to work for ASOS too, they seem like a great company to work for!

• Jacqueline Ho 6th April 2010 at 18:31

Thanks for reading the article, glad you enjoyed it! Yep we have a lot of fun at ASOS but also work really really hard! x

• K 6th April 2010 at 20:09

This is sooo cool!
    Why is the monkey on your lap??

• amy 6th April 2010 at 23:48

great interview! she has wonderful things
    and working for asos would be so great

• Lynette/Kokokoreano 7th April 2010 at 03:05

The trench coat collection is totally to-die-for!
    Beautiful collection of jeweleries too!

Oh, and Jacqueline, your job sounds so awesome!!! Love ASOS! I think half my wardrobe is from ASOS 😀

P/S: The salad sounds so tempting, it’s making my tummy growl xD

• tiffany replica 7th April 2010 at 08:56

nice interview, i really like the coats…

• Marian 7th April 2010 at 11:20

gorgeous! Love the image of her mac coats with the pop of red. Like that she followed her heart and went for the asos job to get into the sector she was interested in.

xx
    marian.

• Syd 7th April 2010 at 12:30

Best interview article I’ve ever read … it’s so natural.

SH

• Becky Yang 7th April 2010 at 13:13

Good work Jacque!! Love your room and all the collections, so colorful and lively. Keep going! 😀

• holierthannow 7th April 2010 at 13:39

Oh my gosh, i wish i had discovered this yesterday, the first image is so perfect for my mixed prints collage… anyway, beautiful! this is the dressing room i aspire to

xo holier

Holier than Now
    The Fashion Blog for Frontrunners

• Dylan Jackson From NYC 7th April 2010 at 14:11

Best post so far, lovely photography though. So jealous of her trench coats.

D x

• A.J 7th April 2010 at 14:12

I can see she’s wearing a playsuit from Warehouse, am I right?
    Love your post, I wish to work for ASOS too :S

• May 7th April 2010 at 16:04

What an interesting interview? I’ve never seen so many interesting stuff, you must have collected them for quite a while, even your mum’s parfum at her 20s! I like your sitting posture in the photo, so coo..ooooool!

• Alan Wong 7th April 2010 at 17:44

Can’t believe you’ve grown into such a beauty and an inspiring star from when I saw you last when you were about 6 years old, CONFUSED ?!! Clue: your aunty Jolee !! Pleased to see you’re doing so well, brilliant interview and post.
    Keep up the good work Jacqueline !

• Kit @ style slicker 7th April 2010 at 21:42

@Jacqueline – Thanks for taking part, it was worth the mess 😀
    @Hyun Hyun – Yes you’ll see more.
    @StyleAnyWhere – Hmm I’m not sure.
    @Shini – It’s tacky but it’s beautiful too
    @Marian – Hope you can be my next one.
    @AJ – The playsuit is from Oasis, £70. Check online.
    @Amy – Working for ASOS is every girls dream come true.

Thanks!

• Jacqueline Ho 7th April 2010 at 22:05

I’m really happy and so glad about all the comments from everyone!

They (my family) rarely read blogs but I spotted they have written comments in there too, how amazing!

It proves tacky & beautiful really works!

@A.J – Playsuit from ‘Oasis’. Available from asos.com! Just arrived!
    @Alan – Thanks! Of course I haven’t forgotten, surprise to hear from you too!

Hope it gives inspiration to everyone to be yourself, be creative & have fun! xx

• Michelle @ Glisters & Blisters . 8th April 2010 at 04:07

this is a great interview !
    really enjoyed reading it 😀

glad to have found ur blog ! the content is very informative..

visit/comment/follow me back at..
    michelle || glisters and blisters

• CC 8th April 2010 at 04:40

Great interview! The first photo is gorgeous, it looks like an editorial shot. 🙂
    Xx

PS – What camera do you use? I’m looking to buy a new one and I just can’t decide!

• Kit @ style slicker 8th April 2010 at 08:15

@CC – My current camera is a Canon EOS 80D with (I think) 38mm F/2.8 lens, I’m looking to get a 7D which has a HD movie mode but it’s blooming pricey :S
      For a beginner like you I’d suggest you get a Canon EOS 500D or 550D.

• Daniella 8th April 2010 at 10:19

what a lovely feature and interview! xx

• Nils Karlsson 8th April 2010 at 13:53

Wow! I’m impressed. I remember the days we visited you in Copenhagen. You are on the right way now and I like it. I checked ASOS but couldn’t find the stuff I can find at http://www.tigerofsweden.com You know where you can find me next time you visit Sweden. See you!

• jill (polka dot) 8th April 2010 at 17:41

What a fabulous, fun interview! Great idea. I love this series, hope you do more.

It’s mess, but beautiful mess. And she’s so pretty. What I find fascinating is how people’s ‘style’ – their clothing – extends to their personal space.

And I LOVE her trench collection! The 7 random facts thing is great, too. I have my own personal pistachio childhood story, and I’ll never forget the time a restaurant served my first slice of pecan pie but accidentally replaced sugar with salt. I didn’t know and ate the whole thing.

Would love to hear the story behind number 7 ; )

Sorry I missed you today @ Sketchbook, hope it was great.

xox

• Jacques 8th April 2010 at 22:04

Very interesting interview.
    I like the style of living, the style of writing and the style of fashioning.
    Bravo Jacqueline

a french admiring.

• Kit @ style slicker 8th April 2010 at 22:44

@Nils – I think you got the wrong person, I’ve never been to Copenhagen nor met you :S But thanks for checking out my post.
    @Jill – Thanks! There will be more soon. Yeah I love the Random Facts part esp Jacque’s wasabi/pistachio incident LOL.

• Jacqueline Ho 9th April 2010 at 09:08

@Jill – I was lucky to meet HRH majesty at my previous job, Burberry! He was presented with a custom made trench on his visit.

@Jacques – Merci beaucoup! J’espère que vous allez bien!

@Kit, we are getting a lot of good reviews about this! Maybe we should have a series 2, different location/situation.

LOL, btw some of my family friends have been posting this, Nils is one of them hence the reason you didn’t know what he meant when he talked about Copenhagen, sorry for the confusion!

xx

• Dina 9th April 2010 at 18:15

Ahh, I’ve enjoyed reading and looking at this so much! The photographs are so beautiful, what an amazingly creative environment. Must…make…collage wall…now…

• adorngirl 13th April 2010 at 08:36

Great coverage, could give the selby a run for his money. x

• Willodean Arbertha 20th June 2010 at 15:34

God bless MJ.. He trully changed the world..

• Bee 8th July 2010 at 17:25

Amazing home photographs and love the interview.