Continuing from part 1. Most days were spent eating out and stocking up on snacking supplies – never mind our uncontrollable expanding waistlines, the local food here were fantastic (and chips too!), lolling on the beach front, showering three times a day (remember, North Cyprus hasn’t rained since April). Sightseeing, busy paying attention to how much data we used uploading snaps on Instagram, stressing about getting bitten by mosquitos and getting burnt from the sun, we applied so much branded insect repellents and SPF products to our bodies it became our self-inflicted problems.
To be frank, I was never into this whole sunbathing culture and never understood the obsession with natural tanning, like all Orientals we love our pale perfection, despite being the only person in the family with freckles and always cover up with the highest SPF, I just had to suck it up and let the brown spots appear. Actually a hint of brown tan looked alright, healthy. I have Vitamin D deficiency for as long as I can remember, coming here my skin has literally soaked up 8 years worth of Vitamin D! We continued our new-found adventure in sunbathing, we spent the night at Burhan’s Golden Beach in Karpaz Peninsula a 2.5 hour drive from Kyrenia. Karpaz is known for their secluded natural beauty and pristine sandy beach, you would occasionally wild or abandoned donkeys roaming freely in the beach, we only saw one.
- Photo 1, 2 & 3: Road tripping along the scenic coastal route from Kyrenia to Karpaz in our future-bro-in-law’s trusty jeep.
- Photo 4 & 5: Welcome to Golden Beach, one of the most stunning golden sandy beaches in the Karpaz.
- Photo 6: *Ahem*, it was my first time swimming in the sea!
- Photo 7: Beautiful golden sunset. Priceless.
- Photo 8: Dinner by the beach.
- Photo 9: Spectacular night sky at the beach, the white dot in the sky is the North Star. As twilight fell, we turned to star gazing, the Milky Way and shooting stars were clearly visible.
- Photo 10: My trusty MCM backpack as an overnight bag. We stayed overnight in a beach hut at reasonable price, £20 per person.
- Photo 11, 12 & 13: Final soak in the sun before headed back to Kyrenia.
Stay tuned for part 3!