After London Fashion Week and a brand new hair cut, my siblings, future/bro-in-laws and I spent a week vacating in Kyrenia or Girne located in the north coast of Northern Cyprus, my sister’s partner kindly let us stay at his family villa in Catalkoy. Breathtaking panoramic views of the mountains, sea, endless palm trees, villas and cloudless blue sky (it hasn’t rained since April), with all the oooo’s and ahhh’s we instantly fell in love with the district. Everything seemed so picture perfect, but fighting over the same ‘money shots’ with my Instagrammer-sisters were a little childish, it was embarrassing sometimes. Mercifully, I ditched my heavy Canon 5DMK2 in favour of Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom to capture my holiday shots with surprising results – super sharp x10 optical zoom, it’s impossible to find fault in picture quality especially in low-light (as seen on the moon picture without a tripod), and decent battery life. It would have been a perfect camera if the screen were slightly bigger than my current Galaxy S4 (measured at 4.3 inches, similar screen size to my first Galaxy S2), and the body less slippery, otherwise a great handset for travel.
- Intro photo: Early morning approaching Ercan airport with Pegasus Airlines, can you spot the moon?
- Photo 2: Awaiting to aboard the plane with Pegasus Airlines at Stansted Airport.
- Photo 3: Our colourful travel wallets and passports courtesy of Aspinal of London.
- Photo 4, 5, 6 & 7: After our much-needed caffeine fix for us sleepy heads, we went to explore Kyrenia’s picturesque harbour front, and castles.
- Photo 8, 9, 10 & 11: Quaint-sleepy village in Catalkoy.
- Photo 12 & 13: Trekking around St Hilarion Castle wearing a wrong type of footwear, beautiful views and hell of a trek. The view of the sprouting medieval castle was said to have inspired Walt Disney’s castle design in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Sleeping Beauty.
- Photo 14: View from the Bellapais Abbey (x5 optical zoom).
- Photo 15: Golden hour in Catalkoy.
- Photo 16: Full moon-ish (x10 optical zoom).
- Photo 17: Food fest at the Catalkoy Village Night Festival.
- Photo 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 & 23: Sun, sea, sand, snorkelling and food hangout at Escape Beach.
- Photo 24: Paragliding in the beach (x10 optical zoom).
Stay tuned for part 2!